Monday, June 8, 2009

Book Suggestions

I was asked for some book suggestions and I went a little crazy. For pure documentation purposes, here's the complete list:

Good fiction
- Anything by Jhumpa Lahiri. I just reread The Namesake and I couldn't believe how awesome it still is. Interpreter of Maladies and Unaccustomed Earth are short story collections and are also awesome.
- Let the Northern Lights Erase Your Name by Vendela Vida is fantastic.
- The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini.
- Free Food for Millionaires by Jin Lee
- Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen


Borderline chick-lit
Any book by Marisa De los Santos
The Senator’s Wife by Sue Miller
The myth of you and me by Leah Stewart
How to be single by Liz Tuccillo
The secret life of CeeCee Wilkes by Diane Chamberlain
Lorna Landvik is cheesy but I love her books (especially Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons)

Non-fiction (I like memoirs)
Orenstein, Peggy - Waiting for Daisy
Armstrong, Heather B. - It sucked and then I cried
Patchett, Ann - Truth & beauty (actually anything by her)
Dully, Howard - My lobotomy
Gladwell, Malcolm
Pipher, Mary – Reviving Ophelia
Alvarez, Julia - Once Upon a Quinceanera
Walker, Rebecca Choi, Annie - Happy birthday or whatever
Sonnenberg, Susanna - Her last death

4 comments:

  1. Wow, GREAT idea to blog about your book rec's... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watch out, I'm about to drop a name. I know Lorna Landvik. You know she's from Minnesota. Perhaps I can arrange a meeting for you with her during your visit? Or maybe just get you an autographed copy of Angry Housewives...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to pen my memoir. When I do I will send you a signed copy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did you like Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole?

    ReplyDelete