Sunday, September 16, 2012

Fits like a glove!

I learned a new word the other day and it cracks me up to think that I never knew this word before - pafism - it's basically something that sounds like a cliche or a figure of speech but isn't (and is actually real/literal)- like saying that a glove "fits like a glove".

Here's the real definition - A worn out cliche or trite phrase used to describe the actual scenario for which the cliche was originally created.

Anyway, I like it because I'm sick of people using the word "literally" when they mean "figuratively". Rachel Zoe, I'm looking at you. But sometimes people do actually mean a phrase in the literal sense!

And because the other day, I learned about the expression "burying the lede". I always thought it was "burying the lead" (as in burying the lead/main story) but then my friend posted this blogpost - and i totally thought he spelled it wrong so I googled it and then i found out that it was actually "lede" - a good explanation is here. So I'm going off track (HA, another cliche but if i were on an actual train, it'd be a pafism) and here we are back to pafism...

Two examples of pafism (besides the glove):
1. Two friends are at a club where they witness a young couple dancing the tango. One friend turns to the other and says "it takes two to tango."

2. We attended the Profession Bull Riding competition at Madison Square Garden last winter. As we walked into the arena Dan, who went last year, turned to me and said "well, you know, this aint my first rodeo."

Anyway, i thought that was interesting. And that's my "learning new things" story for now. I got nothing else.

1 comment:

  1. Haha. Love this post. And so informative at such an early hour of the morning.

    ReplyDelete