Monday, July 13, 2009

Fish Tacos

As most of you know, I'm OBSESSED with a certain Mexican place that has burned down and I obsessively have been looking for a fantastic steak burrito or fish taco since the fire. I never even thought about MAKING it on my own until last week.

Also, Mike has a tendency to buy random protein products and stick them in the freezer. He's really good about cleaning out the freezer (whereas I usually forget to even look in there) but he would be happy with a random George-Foreman-ed piece of meat/fish and I like something a little fancier.

Anyway...Mike bought some Mahi-Mahi from Trader Joe's a while ago and it inspired me to find a recipe for fish tacos.

Mahi-Mahi (dude, if I knew how much, I would have my own cookbook)
Olive oil
2 limes
Taco seasoning (we have A LOT of taco seasoning in this condo – we make a lot of tacos)
Handful of chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Sliced red onion
Tortillas (we use the low carb ones – SO yummy)
Shredded white cabbage
Salsa
Sour cream

1. Mix together oil, the juice of 1.5 limes, some taco seasoning and some of the chopped cilantro leaves. Cover the fish with this marinade for 20 minutes (NO MORE THAN 20 MINUTES or you risk making seviche).
2. Grill the fish and the red onion (you’ll have to look up specific grilling instructions; I have no idea).
3. Place the fish and the red onion in tortillas and top with cabbage, salsa and sour cream.
4. Enjoy but realize it’s not as good as a certain Mexican restaurant.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the moment of silence we had at the intersection near the burned ethnic restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HELEN, Matt Lindstrom and I are planning an outing for dinner to a place where you are going to eat a fish taco that will BLOW YOUR MIND. Also, they have the best calamari in the entire world. I promise you!

    ReplyDelete