Tuesday, May 26, 2009

HIPAA

First of all, did my last post look weird? The photo set-up looks good in Google Chrome and Firefox but weird in Internet Explorer. Maybe I have too many internet browsers. 

Also, I'm very psyched by my FIVE followers!!!

Anyway, a little complaint: I saw an endocrinologist (well, two of them technically - the attending and the fellow) a few months ago. I liked the attending (mostly because she said "you'll have children" in such a straight-forward way) but I'm irritated at the fellow. When he called to give me my follow-up information, he scared the crap out of me. I was referred to a million (ok, three) other doctors and now I feel like my days off are spent making appointments and getting inconclusive results and MORE BLOODWORK. 

When I was at the appointment, the fellow mentioned that his wife was a resident and was surprised that I didn't know her name (it was uncommon - trust me, if I knew her, I'd remember). Well, I met her on Sunday and I said that she must be married to this guy. Her response surprised me - she said "oh yeah, he told me about you! I was wondering if we would meet!"...whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? He told her about me? Isn't that a HIPAA violation? 

I'm hoping/assuming that he just mentioned that he cared for a co-worker and didn't use any patient identifiers. 

But maybe she'll convince him that I don't have any mental deficits (yup, I've been asked this at EVERY recent appointment). 

Am I only applying to grad school to prove my intelligence to my new physicians? :)  

1 comment:

  1. I clearly need to be a better follower of your blog. This one made me LOL. If I tell you that you are NORMAL, will that help?

    ReplyDelete